Measuring the ‘unmeasurable’ – assess your organisation
These are some critical underlying drivers of sustainable business success:
- Underperformance is not tolerated
- People never make excuses for underperformance
- We don’t waste time doing irrelevant things
- The results of the business are in line with its strategy
- Only activity which supports the strategy is recognised and rewarded
- Everyone knows where the company is going
- Everyone shares the strategy concisely and compellingly
- Everyone believes it is achievable
- People are personally excited about it
- It is translated into practical steps which are owned by specific individuals
- We proactively develop our culture when our strategy changes
- People always demonstrate our stated company values
- Everybody loves coming to work
- The company’s culture is managed as explicitly as the financials
- People never whine and finger-point
- People’s primary focus is delivering great service
Now Ask Yourself…
- To what extent can you say these things of your organisation?
- Do they work for you? Would you add anything? Change anything?
- How many of your personal performance objectives are targeted towards improving these or similar areas?
- How much time do you spend in a week, alongside driving for top- and bottom-line results, on developing your organisation?
- Is there an imbalance?
- And what would you like to do about it?
Send us your comments – we’d love to hear your feedback!